Fun in the Sun in Spite of Sargassum
Posted by: Las Terrazas Resort
Curious about how to have fun in the Ambergris Caye sun in spite of the Sargassum? Though this unique strand of seaweed can be an eyesore and threatens to hinder one's enjoyment of the water, you can rest assured that the Las Terrazas Resort staff is hard at work keeping the beach pristine for your stay. Below is a brief explanation on what exactly Sargassum is and how to enjoy the island despite its presence.
A Mother Nature phenomenon, Sargassum Seaweed is thought to have originated from the Sargasso Sea, off the northeast corner of the US and Bermuda. Unlike other species of seaweeds that attach themselves to the bottom of the ocean, Sargassum is completely free floating. Ocean currents then transport it throughout the Caribbean where it lands on our shores. And while it certainly can be a pesky nuisance, it does have environmental benefits as it provides food, refuge, and breeding grounds for the marine life that inhabit it. Another positive note is that we have seen less of it in 2019 than we did last year, with the first quarter being relatively Sargassum free. While no one can predict or control the arrival (or departure!) of Sargassum, these are encouraging trends that we hope reflect what the rest of the year will bring.
At the same time, we understand that this does not always make for the most attractive beach. It is our goal at Las Terrazas Resort to maximize total beach enjoyment for our guests, and we are committed to daily cleanings that both show off our pristine white sand while simultaneously minimizing damage to the beach. Our staff devotes more than eight hours a day to cleaning the beach as needed, a hard labor that our team takes pride in doing in order to best show case the beach on which our property rests. Additionally, we have installed deflection booms to prevent this seagrass from washing ashore on our beach. This boom, coupled with the booms installed by other island resorts, deflects the seagrass on past the southern end of the island. You can be confident that you will experience a beautiful and clean beach while on our property!
With that being said, our beach is truly kept to immaculate standards and remains a relaxing and lovely spot to snooze, sunbathe, read, play horseshoes and life-size Jenga, and just enjoy the ocean view under the swaying palm trees. However, below are some additional ways to enjoy your Belize beach vacation despite the presence of Sargassum.
- Snorkel and dive trips with White Sands Dive Shop provide a quiet respite from the Sargassum as the Barrier Reef and Hol Chan Marine Reserve are a quarter mile from our shoreline. This short ten-minute boat ride is literally a hop, skip, and a jump to the Sargassum-free aquamarine sea. White Sands Dive Shop is located onsite at Las Terrazas Resort.
- Secret Beach! Sometimes dubbed the "Not So Secret Beach" this popular hot spot is a must visit when on Ambergris Caye. Situated on the lagoon side of the island, Secret Beach is away from the side of the Caribbean Sea where this seagrass is coming from. You have two great options of getting there. First, by golf cart. This thirty-minute leisurely drive will give you a great opportunity to explore San Pedro from within. Or, consider a more luxurious mode of transportation by booking a personal boat ride through Backwater Belize. With a boat that is astonishingly painted the exact turquoise of the Caribbean Sea, you will truly be riding in style. Their superb staff will bring you there and back with assured safety and fun, as well as provide you with fun pop culture tidbits, such as the Who's Who of Belize Island Ownership (Leo DiCaprio anyone?!) as you drive by the most remote and luxurious cayes.
- Need a break from the beach altogether? Consider booking a tour with Belize Food Tours. This walking tour truly provides a unique cultural experience, allowing one to see the heart of San Pedro and get a true taste of Belize by introducing tourists to the authentic mom & pop restaurants and street food that line the island. Run by a fabulous staff who does all the leg work for you, all you must do is show up hungry and ready to eat. Each stop on the tour provides a brief history of that restaurant and personally selected items from the menu that will provide guests with flavors that are most true and unique to the island.
- Don't forget about the plethora of mainland excursions that the island has to offer. From helicopter tours, to archaeology, nature, and history tours, cave tubing, zip lining, and more, Belize has an incredible number of amazing sites to see and experience that promise both education and adventure. No matter what you choose, you won't be disappointed.
- Experience Las Terrazas Resort! From poolside dining at O Restaurant to treatments at Serenity Spa and Wellness Center, our 70' infinity pool, rods and reels for dockside fishing, bicycles, and more, there are plenty of things to enjoy right from the resort. Known as a home away from home with a staff that ends up feeling more like family, staying put at this home base is a truly worthy option.
As you can see, despite the presence of Sargassum, Las Terrazas Resort remains a beautiful and lavish resort to call home during your stay on Ambergris Caye, Belize. We hope that this post both leaves you with the assurance that our beaches are just as beautiful as always, as well as the wonderful ways one can still enjoy the island despite Sargassum. Not needed to be seen as a deterrent for travel, Ambergris Caye remains one of the top islands to visit in Belize and in the world as it was voted the #1 island
by Trip Advisor two years in a row. We look forward to welcoming you home soon!
Book Right Now at Las Terrazas!
Enjoyed our Blog? Sign up below to receive more valuable tips, insights and exclusive travel offers!