7 Ways to Stay Active on your Belize Vacation
While some people prefer to use their beach vacations as a break from working out, others like to remain active even while traveling. Regardless of the category you fall in, Ambergris Caye, Belize, is the destination for you! Offering both complete relaxation and an abundance of fitness options, the little island of Ambergris Caye can meet all of your fitness goals. And while our boutique island resort does not have an on-site gym, we do offer several amenities at Las Terrazas Resort, such as bicycles, kayaks, and Hobie Cats that all allow for both an awesome beach workout while also exploring the island and nearby Caribbean Sea. If you are looking for something a bit more specific or extreme, then look no further than the island of Ambergris Caye itself. Below are several other activities that are sure to meet your fitness preferences during your Belizean vacation.
- CrossFit. The W.O.D. Zone is a local CrossFit gym on Ambergris Caye that is owned and operated by Sushil and Lucien Pollard, who make other people’s fitness goals their own personal priority. So well-known is their gym that they actually have the highest drop in rate of any CrossFit facility in all of Central America and the Caribbean! Catering to the many travelers who vacation in Belize, this facility offers a $30 BZE drop in rate for one class, or a weekly pass for $100 BZE (6 classes, including Saturday). Be sure to check out CrossFit San Pedro Town for their address and class schedule. And a tip, just for free: You might want to drop in for an active Saturday class as rumor has it, they sometimes have mimosas!
- Fun in the Sun Aquafit. While Las Terrazas Resort’s 70’ Infinity pool is perfect for lounging, taking a casual swim, and delectable pool side dining, if you are looking for a more strenuous water workout, be sure to check out Fun In the Sun Aquafit. Trainer Eileen Jamison will not only whip you into shape on vacation but will keep you laughing while doing so. She is famous for helping you maintain what she calls a “beauteous gluteous” and for getting rid of that pesky muffin top. Classes are held on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10:00-11:00 and are only $15 BZE to attend. A steal of a deal for an hour of fitness, free equipment, and fun in the sun!
- Mixed Martial Arts. For martial artists visiting Ambergris Caye, be sure to check out Dawson’s Pit Fighters. Run by local coach Martin Dawson, this MMA school champions both people and values and trains in self-defense techniques such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, kickboxing, and Lima-Lama. Dawson’s Pit Fighters also seeks to empower the community; they recently partnered with Hope Haven, a nonprofit children’s home in Belize, where they offer the organization’s young girls free monthly self-defense tactics meant to empower and protect. You can check out Dawson’s website to see about current class times or contact him here to inquire about visiting a class.
- Cardio Dance Fitness. Looking to get your Zumba on while on vacation? Located next to Barrel Bar just north of San Pedro High School, this cardio dance class will get you moving and grooving as you raise your heartbeat through fast paced, fun-filled active dance moves, punching, and kicking. Classes are $15 BZE for a week and are offered on weekdays at 6:00 am and 6:00 and 7:00 pm. Get your groove on as you sweat your heart out.
- Yoga. The discipline of yoga can be both physical and spiritual and with the view of the aquamarine Caribbean waters, the salty breeze drifting through the air, the sound of the waves lapping nearby, and the adoption of physical postures meant to strengthen your body and purify your mind, this is one practice that will truly appeal to each of your senses. Las Terrazas Resort offers yoga mats for your own personal use, or with the purchase of our popular Wellness Package we can arrange for your own private lesson on our signature dock that overlooks the Caribbean Sea!
- Gym. If you are looking for a more traditional gym experience, the Train Station Fitness Club is the facility for you. Famous for their quality equipment, professional and well-trained staff, and delicious smoothies and shakes, this is Ambergris Caye’s most popular gym. The Train Station offers a wide variety of free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment, personal training, and group fitness classes and has a little bit of everything for everyone to stay active while on vacation. Check them out the next time you are visiting Belize.
- Hiking. While Ambergris Caye itself is fairly flat, the beach does offer a 25 mile stretch for oceanside walking or beach runs. If more traditional hiking trails are what you are looking for, consider an excursion to mainland Belize for a dose of historical, architectural, natural, and active adventure. A day trip to Actun Tunichil Mucknal (or ATM Cave for short) includes hiking through flat shaded nature trails through the jungle as well as through three different knee deep steams, followed by a trek through caves that are often chest deep in waters. This day trip from Las Terrazas Resort is moderate in difficulty and is the perfect blend of physical activity and exploration through ancient Mayan civilization.
Ambergris Caye is a perfect option for those who enjoy a fit and active beach vacation. Be sure to check out any or all of these fitness options when planning your next trip to Belize. Contact our Las Terrazas Resort reservations office to book your trip today!
Book Now at Las Terrazas!
Enjoyed our Blog? Click here to receive more valuable tips, insight and exclusive travel offers!