International Airport Reopening
The Belize City International Airport officially reopened October 1, 2020 with Las Terrazas anticipating opening November 20th. We can’t wait to welcome travelers back to Belize and Las Terrazas Resort! Contact our U S Reservations Office for assistance with booking your Belize vacation.
Frequently Asked Questions on COVID-19
CAN TOURISTS AND FOREIGN NATIONALS TRAVEL TO BELIZE?
Tourists and foreign nationals were able to travel to Belize starting October 1, 2020. This will be only via Belize’s International Airport (BZE) by commercial flights or private flight charters.
ARE COVID-19 PCR TESTS REQUIRED TO ENTER BELIZE?
In order to travel to Belize, every single visitor – no matter your nationality, including Belizeans – must provide a negative PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test result within a 72-hour window of your flight to be granted entry into the country. The negative result test allows the visitor to the “fast track” lane for expedited arrival processing.
As of September 29th, Tourists arriving without a COVID-19 test will be swabbed at BZE and will continue thru Immigration and Customs and then exit the airport via the Safe Corridor using approved air transportation as arranged by Las Terrazas’ US Reservations Office. Visitors will receive their test results at the resort via the Ministry of Health. If the visitor receives a positive test, they will be required to Quarantine at Las Terrazas Resort, at their expense, until the MOH issues a clearance; up to 14 days. The fee for the COVID-19 test at BZE is $50USD and subject to change without notice.
THE 4 – STEP SYSTEM TO PLAN YOUR TRIP
Click here for the 4 step system when planning your trip to Belize.
Read more about the Entry Requirements.
WHAT IS THE BELIZE HEALTH APP AND ITS ROLE IN VISITORS COMING TO BELIZE?
Starting on October 1, 2020 all guests coming to Belize will have to register for The Belize Health App before entering the country. The App will be free and will allow for Belize’s Ministry of Health to check-in with guests throughout their stay. In the event a new case arises while a visitor is on holiday, contact tracing will be much easier and notification of other parties who may have been within your vicinity will be quick and efficient enabling us to #stopthespread as best as possible.
All Safe Corridor requirements during your stay are arranged by Las Terrazas Resort.
DO I NEED TO WEAR A FACE MASK IN BELIZE?
Face masks are required in all public places and should be worn during the entire flight landing, deplaning, throughout the arrival process and in the airport.
IS PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OPEN IN BELIZE?
Current Government protocols require the resort to arrange your privates transfers for express transportation from the international airport to your resort or private transfer from San Pedro airstrip to the resort.
Public transportation in Belize is operating via buses (not applicable to San Pedro),and domestic airlines. Water Taxis are available only for Belizeans and tourist visitors are not permitted at this time to use the Water Taxi Service. For all transportation, Social distancing is required to queue, and a face mask is required for the entirety of your journey. The renting of Golf Carts or any other vehicle are not currently permitted.
New Arrival Protocols for our partner airline can be found here
Contact us for transfer details.
ARE FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENTS OPEN IN BELIZE?
YES, restaurants and bar are open! Guests staying at Gold Standard hotels may visit other Gold Standard hotel restaurants for meals. It is recommended that guests seek the assistance of our Front Desk team to make the necessary arrangements such as reservations and transportation.
Kindly note that only Gold Standard approved transport such as hotel transport or an approved Gold Standard tour operator can transport guests from one property to the next.
Additionally, Las Terrazas Resort has the renowned O Restaurant under the direction of Chef Nolvin. Al Fresco dining pool side as well as private dining on the beach or in your residence is available. Please contact us if you have additional questions.
ARE BUSINESSES AND TOURISM ATTRACTIONS OPEN IN BELIZE?
Yes, Tourism attractions and excursions are operating. While open, social distancing is required. As in any public space, or activity, you are required to wear a mask. There are new capacity restrictions that have been identified for all tourism sites to ensure social distancing can be maintained and smaller groups will provide a more intimate tour experience. Current government protocols require the resort to arrange your excursions with an approved Gold Stand Tour Operator. Please contact us to pre-book your tours prior to arrival or visit with the Front Desk team while at the resort for assistance with any questions.
LAS TERRAZAS CARES –
THE BELIZE TOURISM GOLD STANDARD
For over a decade, Las Terrazas Resort has welcomed guests from around the world to enjoy the warmth, services and Belizean charm found only within our community here in Ambergris Caye, Belize. Now more than ever, we are focused on continuing our rich legacy in caring for our guests and associates. During these challenging times, we want to reassure our partners that we are taking all necessary and precautionary measures for the health, safety and well-being of our guests, associates and the local Ambergris Caye Community.
o Focusing on a renewed commitment to safety, privacy, service and enjoyment, we are well-prepared to receive and take care of all Las Terrazas Resort guests while preserving everyone’s’ general well-being. We continue to work closely with the Belize Tourism Board as well as other Tourism Professionals to audit and review all of our enhanced procedures, to certify that they are effective in the prevention of infectious diseases, including COVID-19. We have implemented extensive protocols across all operational areas to ensure enhanced sanitation as well as will meet the Belize Tourism Board’s Tourism Gold Standard Recognition Program by the time of our re-opening.
We hope to enable new experiences allowing everyone to feel comfortable while taking part in their favorite activities at the resort, living uplifting moments that will be treasured in the midst of a future that sometimes seems uncertain. From the bottom of our hearts, we assure every past, present and future guest that Las Terrazas Resort Cares.
- Temperature checks will be administered throughout the guest’s stay.
- We will encourage cashless transactions throughout the property.
- All hotel guests will be required to wear a face mask when they are out of their accommodation unit.
- In the event a guest presents symptoms or tests positive for the virus, employees have been trained to activate protocols to help contain the infection. Employees will respond by facilitating medical attention and ensuring sanitation of areas that might have been exposed.
- We recommend that, before your arrival, guests schedule and book all their dining activities, sports, excursions, and other activities with our U.S. Reservations Team.
- Guests must make sure to provide the following information to the US Reservations Office 7 days or more prior to arrival to ensure the check-in process is as quick as expected:
- Name as on Passport
- Passport number
- DOB for ages 17 and younger
- Contact #
- Number of guess in party
- email address.
- Declaration that traveler has not had any symptoms related to COVID-19 in the last 14 days
GUEST CHECK IN AND OUT
- Virtual check-in will be available in the near future. In the meantime, we have implemented significant changes to the overall process; starting with the collection of the information directly above to be provided to our U.S. Reservations Office 7 or more days prior to check in.
- We have established new check-in and check-out hours to ensure the complete disinfection and sanitization of all guest rooms prior to each arrival. New hours are: check-in: 4:00 pm,/ Check-out: 11:00 AM.
- Upon arrival, guests will wait for their lobby concierge to welcome and assist the guest in the check-in process.
- As part of the check-in process, guests will be required upon arrival to answer a few questions to assess if they have any signs and symptoms related to COVID-19.
- The lobby will have a maximum capacity of 10 people at the same time. The rest of the guests will be able to wait at various lounging areas around the lobby.
- Guests will be urged to read the provided information regarding newly established protocols throughout the property.
- We encourage groups traveling together to designate a person to complete the check-in process on behalf of everyone. In this way the process is simplified and the conglomeration of people in the reception area is avoided.
- Room changes are limited and cannot be made upon check-in. If agreed, a room change would be scheduled subject to availability. Guests must schedule the change at check in or by phone at ext O. The minimum time for a room change will be no less than 24 hours and subject to availability.
- Check-out process has been streamlined to eliminate the need to physically return to the lobby. Cashless transactions are preferred, and that the credit card provided upon check-in will be used to process payment upon check-out. In the event that a guest has a need to pay in cash, they will be required by law to properly sanitize bills before interacting with reception. Your correct email will be required at check in to allow for receipt of your final folio.
- If you need assistance and/or transportation, please contact us 24 hours before to arrange it for you.
STAFF PROCEDURES & PROTOCOL
- Employees: All employees are required to take their temperature before reporting for duty. Any employees exhibiting or exposed to any illness will be instructed to stay home. We require all illness-based absences to continue until a sufficient quarantine has been completed according to CDC guidelines and individual healthcare physicians. All employees will wear face masks while on-duty.
- Communication: Constant communication with local public health officials to provide real-time updates to all guests and employees.
- Hand Hygiene: The importance of handwashing is being communicated to employees daily and is vital to keeping guests and employees healthy. The resort is stocked with supplies to support healthy hygiene practices.
- Public Spaces: The Las Terrazas Sanitizing Team will
- Increase the frequency of disinfecting these areas with a focus on the frequently touched surfaces and areas like guest entrances, lobbies, common gathering areas and operational vehicles using an electrostatic sprayer. All public seating will be placed 6 feet apart.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been installed throughout high-traffic areas for guests’ convenience and protection..
- All public restrooms are being equipped with contactless soap and hand sanitizer dispensers.
- Signage with health and physical distancing guidelines will be placed throughout the property and in guest rooms.
- Prior to reopening, all common areas will be cleaned and disinfected using electrostatic misting. This technique applies a coating to all surfaces that effectively kills all contaminants.
- Guest Rooms & Villas
- We will minimize the number and frequency of staff entering guest rooms during their stay to protect both our guests and employees.
- Guests rooms will allow for enough time to properly circulate air between guest departures and arrivals.
- Rooms will only be cleaned when the guests are not in and a cleaning certification card will be placed on the guest entrance door when completed.
- We will be removing most in-room collateral such as pens and paper and making them only available upon guest request.
- All cleaning for guest rooms will be done using clinical-grade products to ensure effective disinfection of all surfaces and spaces.
- All staff will be required to wear masks and gloves while cleaning, and require washing hands and changing gloves between each cleaning session.
- Every room and villa will continue to receive daily cleaning service. If you don’t wish to have the room cleaned during your stay, please let us know by calling extension 0. Sheets and towels will be changed every two days, according to our Sustainability policy.
- Turn down Service will not be available at this time
- Laundry and Reusable linens will be washed in water at 140 degrees Fahrenheit or above.
- Extra Pillows, bedding and towels will be removed from the guest rooms, should you require additional supplies please let us know by calling extension 0.
- To ensure the safety of our associates, guests are required to place all their trash in the trash bins provided in the unit.
- FOOD AND BEVERAGE
- We invite our guests to continue with the tradition of Al Fresco dining poolside, rooftop or on the beach.
- Restaurant capacities and seatings have been reduced to respect physical distancing guidelines.
- In line with the local required protocols, table-settings are being modified to eliminate common-touch surfaces. –
- In-room dining service orders will be delivered at the guest’s door to avoid direct contact.
- Kitchen sanitation processes are being updated to include the on-going use of electrostatic misters for disinfection.
- Our new O Restaurant Menu will reduce the risk of contamination.
- BEACHES AND POOLS
- Beach personnel will wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times.
- Chaise-lounges, tables and umbrellas will undergo a daily deep cleaning before the start of beach and pool operations and sanitation will continue throughout the day.
- The maximum capacity of the beach and pool area will be limited and the chaise-lounges and umbrellas will be accommodated so that the physical distance guidelines are respected.
- Aquatic equipment such as kayaks, paddles, hobbies, will be disinfected before and after each use.
- Beach towels will be placed in guest’s rooms before their arrival and can be exchanged on request whether stopping by the Front Desk or dialing O from your in-room telephone.
IN THE CASE OF AN EVENT
In the event that a Las Terrazas guest presents symptoms, is screened with a temperature exceeding 100 °F, or tests positive for the virus, they will be required to isolate in their accommodation along with all members of their party in the unit until the Ministry of Health arrives to undertake testing for COVID-19. Employees will respond by facilitating medical attention and ensuring sanitation of areas that might have been exposed.
- We have certified medical professionals in San Pedro Town who are available 24/7.
- Belize Medical Associates, a private hospital and medical clinic, is less than 5-minutes away. The facility is equipped with the latest medical equipment and the medical team is backed by the experienced staff at the main hospital in Belize City.
- We provide complimentary transfers for non-emergency treatments. In case of emergencies where patients need to be transported to Belize City for further hospitalization or medical, Belize Medical Associates has a contract with Astrum Helicopters. Alternate, less emergent transfers can also be arranged by the Las Terrazas staff.
BEFORE YOU TRAVEL
- Check the CDC’s Travelers health notices for the latest updates and guidance for each country you plan to travel to.
- We recommend all guests purchase travel insurance to protect you and your family from the unexpected before and during your trip. Las Terrazas Resort partners with TravelEx Insurance. The link to receive a quote from TravelEx will be included with your room quote and insurance purchased is paid directly to TravelEx. Travel Insurance must be purchased within a window of time after your booking as determined by TravelEx.
Rescheduling Due to COVID-19
We understand that travel flexibility is very important during this time, so we’ve made updates to our policies as follows:
- Any individual bookings (new or existing) for stays through October 15, 2020 (including reservations booked under non-refundable rates or that have been pre-paid) may be re-booked for a future stay at the existing room rate anytime until October 31, 2022 (excluding Holidays).
- For any reservations with a deposit on file; refunds, at this time, are not being processed. The deposit will be retained on file for future travel within 24 months of the original date of travel. This includes cancellations more than 30 days prior to the original travel date.
Updated Cancellation Policy for bookings as of July 1, 2020.
- One night deposit is required to confirm the booking
- Full payment is due 14 days prior to arrival and will automatically be charged to the credit card supplied at the time of the deposit.
- Guests may cancel with a full refund (less a $75 administrative fee) 15 or more days prior to arrival
- In order to be locked into the current fare structure with the local airline, we recommend pre-paying for transfers at the time of booking in order to prevent a possible fare increase from the date of booking until travel date(s).
- This cancellation policy does not apply to the Christmas / Festive Travel season. Contact our U S Reservations Office for clarification on our Christmas / Festival Travel season policies.