International Airport Reopening
Frequently Asked Questions on COVID-19
CAN TOURISTS AND FOREIGN NATIONALS TRAVEL TO BELIZE?
Tourists and foreign nationals were able to travel to Belize starting October 1, 2020. This will be only via Belize’s International Airport (BZE) by commercial flights or private flight charters.
ARE COVID-19 PCR TESTS REQUIRED TO ENTER BELIZE?
In order to travel to Belize, every single visitor – no matter your nationality, including Belizeans – must provide a negative PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test result within a 96-hour window (4 days) of your flight ARRIVAL in Belize to be granted entry into the country. Rapid Antigen Tests are now accepted within 48 hours of your flight ARRIVAL in Belize. The negative result test allows the visitor to the “fast track” lane for expedited arrival processing.
UPDATE: Effective February 28, 2021, anyone landing in Belize who can show proof of completion the Covid vaccine 2 or more weeks prior to arrival will not be subjected to testing.
As of September 29, 2020, tourists arriving without a COVID-19 test will be swabbed at BZE and will continue thru Immigration and Customs and then exit the airport via the Safe Corridor using approved air transportation as arranged by Las Terrazas’ US Reservations Office. Visitors will receive their test results at the resort via the Ministry of Health. If the visitor receives a positive test, they will be required to quarantine at Las Terrazas Resort, at their expense, until the MOH issues a clearance; up to 14 days. The fee for the COVID-19 test at BZE is $50USD and subject to change without notice.
ARE COVID-19 PCR TESTS REQUIRED TO RE-ENTER THE US?
As of January 26, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours before boarding an international flight entering the United States. The test is required of all citizens and visitors who enter the US.
Las Terrazas Resort provides the convience of scheduled COVID testing at the resort between the hours of 7am-6pm, 7 days/week. Tests are $75US, and results are available same day. We recommend scheduling your test in advance with our US Reservations Office and copy to our Director of Sales.
THE 4 – STEP SYSTEM TO PLAN YOUR TRIP
Click here for the 4 step system when planning your trip to Belize.
Read more about the Entry Requirements.
WHAT IS THE BELIZE HEALTH APP AND ITS ROLE IN VISITORS COMING TO BELIZE?
Starting on October 1, 2020, all guests coming to Belize will have to register for The Belize Health App before entering the country. The App will be free and will allow for Belize’s Ministry of Health to check-in with guests throughout their stay. In the event a new case arises while a visitor is on holiday, contact tracing will be much easier and notification of other parties who may have been within your vicinity will be quick and efficient enabling us to #stopthespread as best as possible.
All Safe Corridor requirements during your stay are arranged by Las Terrazas Resort.
DO I NEED TO WEAR A FASK MASK IN BELIZE?
Face masks are required in all public places and should be worn during the entire flight landing, deplaning, throughout the arrival process and in the airport.
ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS ON MOVEMENT FOR TOURISTS?
Tourists visiting Belize can move about freely, however it is recommended that they remain within the Tourism Safe Corridor. The Safe Corridor includes Gold Standard certified accommodations, tour operators, tourism transportation providers, restaurants, tourism sites and attractions, and gift shops. These Gold Standard and certified entities have all been trained and have implemented enhanced health and safety measures.
A curfew is currently in effect on Friday and Saturday from 12:00am (midnight) – 4:59am and Sunday – Thursday from 10:00pm – 4:59am. Persons are not permitted to be in any public space during this time, and risk a fine if found in contravention of the regulation. Minors not in the company of their parents have a curfew of 6:00 pm to 4:59 am.
IS PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OPEN IN BELIZE?
Only approved transportation providers are permitted and at this time include the two domestic airlines, car rentals (not applicable on Ambergris Caye), and taxis. Golf cart rental is available, and we recommend that you reserve a cart prior to your arrival via the Reservations Office.
New Arrival Protocols for our partner airline can be found here.
Contact us for transfer details.
ARE FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENTS OPEN IN BELIZE?
YES, restaurants and bars are open! Please stop by the Front Desk and ask one of our friendly staff to assist you with the necessary arrangements such as reservations and transportation. As bars and restaurants are re-opening daily, we would love to share that information with you so that you might experience Belize at its tastiest.
ARE BUSINESSES AND TOURISM ATTRACTIONS OPEN IN BELIZE?
Yes, tourism attractions and excursions are operating. As in any public space, or activity, you are required to wear a mask and respect social distancing. New capacity restrictions have been identified for all tourism sites to ensure social distancing can be maintained, and smaller groups will provide a more intimate tour experience. Current government protocols require the resort to arrange your excursions with an approved Gold Stand Tour Operator. Please contact us to pre-book your tours prior to arrival or visit with the Front Desk team while at the resort for assistance with any questions.
LAS TERRAZAS CARES –
THE BELIZE TOURISM GOLD STANDARD
For over a decade, Las Terrazas Resort has welcomed guests from around the world to enjoy the warmth, services and Belizean charm found only within our community here in Ambergris Caye, Belize. Now more than ever, we are focused on continuing our rich legacy in caring for our guests and associates. During these challenging times, we want to reassure our partners that we are taking all necessary and precautionary measures for the health, safety and well-being of our guests, associates and the local Ambergris Caye Community.
Focusing on a renewed commitment to safety, privacy, service and enjoyment, we are well-prepared to receive and take care of all Las Terrazas Resort guests while preserving everyone’s’ general well-being. We continue to work closely with the Belize Tourism Board as well as other Tourism Professionals to audit and review all of our enhanced procedures, to certify that they are effective in the prevention of infectious diseases, including COVID-19. We have implemented extensive protocols across all operational areas to ensure enhanced sanitation as well as meet the Belize Tourism Board’s Tourism Gold Standard Recognition Program.
We hope to enable new experiences allowing everyone to feel comfortable while taking part in their favorite activities at the resort, living uplifting moments that will be treasured in the midst of a future that sometimes seems uncertain. From the bottom of our hearts, we assure every past, present and future guest that Las Terrazas Resort Cares.
- Temperature checks will be administered throughout the guest’s stay.
- We will encourage cashless transactions throughout the property.
- All hotel guests will be required to wear a face mask when they are out of their accommodation unit.
- In the event a guest presents symptoms or tests positive for the virus, employees have been trained to activate protocols to help contain the infection. Employees will respond by facilitating medical attention and ensuring sanitation of areas that might have been exposed.
- We recommend that, before your arrival, guests schedule and book all their dining activities, sports, excursions, and other activities with our U.S. Reservations Team.
- Guests must make sure to provide the following information to the US Reservations Office 7 days or more prior to arrival to ensure the check-in process is as quick as expected:
- Name as on Passport
- Passport number
- DOB for ages 17 and younger
- Contact #
- Number of guess in party
- email address.
- Declaration that traveler has not had any symptoms related to COVID-19 in the last 14 days
GUEST CHECK IN AND OUT
- Virtual check-in will be available in the near future. In the meantime, we have implemented significant changes to the overall process; starting with the collection of the information directly above to be provided to our U.S. Reservations Office 7 or more days prior to check in.
- We have established new check-in and check-out hours to ensure the complete disinfection and sanitization of all guest rooms prior to each arrival. New hours are: check-in: 4:00 pm,/ Check-out: 11:00 AM.
- Upon arrival, guests will wait for their lobby concierge to welcome and assist the guest in the check-in process.
- As part of the check-in process, guests will be required upon arrival to answer a few questions to assess if they have any signs and symptoms related to COVID-19.
- The lobby will have a maximum capacity of 10 people at the same time. The rest of the guests will be able to wait at various lounging areas around the lobby.
- Guests will be urged to read the provided information regarding newly established protocols throughout the property.
- We encourage groups traveling together to designate a person to complete the check-in process on behalf of everyone. In this way the process is simplified and the conglomeration of people in the reception area is avoided.
- Room changes are limited and cannot be made upon check-in. If agreed, a room change would be scheduled subject to availability. Guests must schedule the change at check in or by phone at ext O. The minimum time for a room change will be no less than 24 hours and subject to availability.
- Check-out process has been streamlined to eliminate the need to physically return to the lobby. Cashless transactions are preferred, and that the credit card provided upon check-in will be used to process payment upon check-out. In the event that a guest has a need to pay in cash, they will be required by law to properly sanitize bills before interacting with reception. Your correct email will be required at check in to allow for receipt of your final folio.
- If you need assistance and/or transportation, please contact us 24 hours before to arrange it for you.
STAFF PROCEDURES & PROTOCOL
- Employees: All employees are required to take their temperature before reporting for duty. Any employees exhibiting or exposed to any illness are instructed to stay home. We require all illness-based absences to continue until a sufficient quarantine has been completed according to CDC guidelines and individual healthcare physicians. All employees wear face masks while on-duty.
- Communication: Constant communication with local public health officials to provide real-time updates to all guests and employees.
- Hand Hygiene: The importance of handwashing is communicated to employees daily and is vital to keeping guests and employees healthy. The resort is stocked with supplies to support healthy hygiene practices.
- Public Spaces: The Las Terrazas Sanitizing Team will
- Increase the frequency of disinfecting these areas with a focus on the frequently touched surfaces and areas like guest entrances, lobbies, common gathering areas and operational vehicles using an electrostatic sprayer. All public seating is placed 6 feet apart.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been installed throughout high-traffic areas for guests’ convenience and protection.
- All public restrooms are being equipped with contactless soap and hand sanitizer dispensers.
- Signage with health and physical distancing guidelines is placed throughout the property and in guest rooms.
- Prior to reopening, all common areas were cleaned and disinfected using electrostatic misting. This technique applies a coating to all surfaces that effectively kills all contaminants.
- Guest Rooms & Villas
- We have minimized the number and frequency of staff entering guest rooms during their stay to protect both our guests and employees.
- Guests rooms will allow for enough time to properly circulate air between guest departures and arrivals.
- Rooms will only be cleaned when the guests are not in and a cleaning certification card will be placed on the guest entrance door when completed.
- We have removed most in-room collateral such as pens and paper and made them available upon guest request.
- All cleaning for guest rooms is done using clinical-grade products to ensure effective disinfection of all surfaces and spaces.
- All staff is required to wear masks and gloves while cleaning, and require washing hands and changing gloves between each cleaning session.
- Every room and villa will continue to receive daily cleaning service. If you don’t wish to have the room cleaned during your stay, please let us know by calling extension 0. Sheets and towels will be changed every two days, according to our Sustainability policy.
- Turn down Service is not available at this time
- Laundry and Reusable linens are washed in water at 140*F or above.
- Extra Pillows, bedding and towels have been removed from the guest rooms. Additional supplies are available by calling extension 0.
- To ensure the safety of our associates, guests are required to place all their trash in the trash bins provided in the unit.
- BEACHES AND POOLS
- Beach personnel wears Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times.
- Chaise-lounges, tables and umbrellas undergo a daily deep cleaning before the start of beach and pool operations and sanitation continues throughout the day.
- The maximum capacity of the beach and pool area is limited and the chaise-lounges and umbrellas are accommodated so that the physical distance guidelines are respected.
- Aquatic equipment such as kayaks, paddles, hobbies, are disinfected before and after each use.
- Beach towels are placed in guest’s rooms before arrival and can be exchanged on request whether stopping by the Front Desk or dialing O from your in-room telephone.
IN THE CASE OF AN EVENT
In the event that a Las Terrazas guest presents symptoms, is screened with a temperature exceeding 100°F, or tests positive for the virus, they will be required to isolate in their accommodation along with all members of their party in the unit until the Ministry of Health arrives to undertake testing for COVID-19. Employees will respond by facilitating medical attention and ensuring sanitation of areas that might have been exposed.
- Certified medical professionals are available in San Pedro Town 24/7.
- Belize Medical Associates, a private hospital and medical clinic, is less than 5-minutes away. The facility is equipped with the latest medical equipment and the medical team is backed by the experienced staff at the main hospital in Belize City.
- We provide complimentary transfers for non-emergency treatments. In case of emergencies where patients need to be transported to Belize City for further hospitalization or medical, Belize Medical Associates has a contract with Astrum Helicopters. Alternatively, less emergent transfers can also be arranged by the Las Terrazas staff.
BEFORE YOU TRAVEL
- Check the CDC’s Travelers health notices for the latest updates and guidance for each country you plan to travel to.
- We recommend all guests purchase travel insurance to protect you and your family from the unexpected before and during your trip. Las Terrazas Resort partners with TravelEx Insurance. The link to receive a quote from TravelEx will be included with your room quote and insurance purchased is paid directly to TravelEx. Travel Insurance must be purchased within a window of time after your booking as determined by TravelEx.
Rescheduling Due to COVID-19
We understand that travel flexibility is very important during this time, so we’ve made updates to our policies as follows:
- Any individual bookings (new or existing) for stays through October 15, 2020 (including reservations booked under non-refundable rates or that have been pre-paid) may be re-booked for a future stay at the existing room rate anytime until October 31, 2022 (excluding Holidays).
- For any reservations with a deposit on file: refunds, at this time, are not being processed. The deposit will be retained on file for future travel within 24 months of the original date of travel. This includes cancellations more than 30 days prior to the original travel date.
Updated Cancellation Policy for bookings as of July 1, 2020.
- One night deposit is required to confirm the booking
- Full payment is due 14 days prior to arrival and will automatically be charged to the credit card supplied at the time of the deposit.
- Guests may cancel with a full refund (less a $75 administrative fee) 15 or more days prior to arrival
- In order to be locked into the current fare structure with the local airline, we recommend pre-paying for transfers at the time of booking in order to prevent a possible fare increase from the date of booking until travel date(s).
- This cancellation policy does not apply to the Christmas / Festive Travel season. Contact our U S Reservations Office for clarification on our Christmas / Festival Travel season policies.